Tuesday, July 12, 2011

If Karl Lagerfeld, Janie Bryant, and Christian Dior had a baby... or made a collection

Karl Lagerfeld, chief designer of the most famous and historical couture houses, Chanel, sent models down the runway last week for his Fall 2011 Couture show. The most interesting looks were the cropped tweed/other material jackets with a peplum bottom. I'm quite partial to peplum ever since Janie Bryant (Wardrobe gal for Mad Men) brought them onto the show, so clearly I was in love with the looks. (And the fact that I love the Chanel classic tweed jacket) But these looks got me thinking, why do I recognize these looks? A few hours of ponderment led the next idea to dawn on me: THEY ARE MODERN DAY "NEW LOOKS" by Christian Dior, circa 1947. Think about it, the overly dramatized peplum jackets? Similar to those of post WWII Dior. NOT that I dont love these looks, they are interpretations of two classic designers combined into one. 
These looks are modest as well. Perfect for the living it up at the office or sprucing up your dog walking attire. You know what I'm talking about... those women who practically wear ballgowns to walk their dogs. 
Aside from the fashion aspect of the show, the beauty aspect also caught my eye. And no, I'm not talking about the intense smokey eye, rather the mesh masks worn over the models' eyes. It seemed a tad reminiscent of the masked dude on the Bachelorette. 
Best Comparison by Far!


Christian Dior "New Look" 1947


Chanel Fall 2011 Couture Looks:


Reminds me of when we had to make gowns
out of garbage bags in sleepaway camp!


  


No comments:

Post a Comment